Friday, August 20, 2010

Flash Back Friday
Jamboral May 8 2010
In celebration of the Boy Scouts of America 100 years of Scouting, our council had a Jamboral at the state fair grounds. It was open to all scouts, including the cubs. Lee and Robbie went with their troops on Friday night, and I decided to take Rickie and two of his friends on Saturday. The turn out was amazing, there was well over 8,ooo people there, about 2000 more than the council planned for. They had so many fun things to do. We all had a great time, despite the crowds. Lee and Robbie were with their troops all day so I didn't get any pictures of them, but they had a blast.
Matt, Rickie, and Tyler in front of the monster truck


Rickie holding on for dear life as a Varsity scout tried to "throw him from the bull"
The boys loved this, they spent almost an hour ridin the bull. They even got blisters from the rope.


This was a fun station. The boys would race/petal to get the the liquid in the tubes up to the top to make a horn go off. It was really hard because their feet would slip off the petals when they got going fast. Rickie won this round.



It wouldn't be a scouting event without guns. There were several stations with different types of guns. One of which was the machine gun. Apparently, only scouts 14 and older were allowed to shot the machine gun, but the army guys were not so good at following the rules. So when Tyler's older brother saw cubs shooting he came and found us and they got a chance to fire the machine gun. It was the best part of the day for Rickie. It was even sweeter for him when he told Lee and Robbie about it and they were green with envy. It's not often that Rickie gets to do something his older brothers haven't.

As I was waiting for the boys to get their turn with the gun, the army guy looked and me and asked if I wanted to try. I had never fired a gun before, let alone a machine gun. But I figured I'd better not pass it up, it may be the only chance I get to fire one. It was awesome! I was shocked at how fun it was. I now understand why people go out shooting.
I came home and told Ches we should get a gun, I wanted to go shootin again. He liked that idea.

It was a fun day of Scouting.




1 comment:

The Ridings said...

Wow! Those guns are a little intimidating.